Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Turkey-Day

Before the holiday weekend I was thinking about how great it was going to be to get in some extra time to put up some great posts...and well...you can see how that one went. The long weekend got going and I found myself spending a lot of time doing all types of fun things, but not posting. Here is a Turkey-Day recap:

I am a vegetarian. I have been so for about two years. My reasoning is not generally based on animal cruelty (though that is an added benefit) but more on environmental impact. The idea is to eat lower on the food chain. My decision also comes with various health benefits and, as it turns out, is much cheaper too. But for this Thanksgiving my family bought a free-range organic turkey from a farm not too far from where I live as a special treat. So I decided to go for it and honestly, it wasn't as exciting as I was expecting it to be. We did our own brine-ing (a process where the whole turkey is essentially marinated in our own concoction of spices and other good-li-ness) and it was very tasty, but after two years I thought it would be more of a to-do.

As the day went on, though, I remembered that when I did eat meat all of the time, turkey wasn't my favorite on Thanksgiving. Sure, it was good, but I was much more happy eating my grandmother's rolls, my step-father's green bean casserole, and delving into my mom's mashed potatoes. The only thing the turkey was good for was the leftover sandwiches (only made with white bread of course--the only time of year we had white bread) for days to come. And as this Thanksgiving, complete with Turkey, went by with plenty of delicious white bread turkey sandwiches.

Photo Credit

No comments: