Saturday, November 1, 2008

Environmental Literature

Every person who has studied or has interest in environmental science has undoubtedly read several books on the matter. I have compiled a list of environmental literature that I have read over the years. Each has contributed to and affected me in forming my own opinions about environmental issues that confront us everyday. Here are some of my favorites:
  • Getting to Scale, by Jill Bamburg
  • A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
  • Desert Solitaire by Ed Abbey
  • Blessed Unrest by Paul Hawken
  • Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
  • Bargaining for Eden by Stephen Trimble
  • The Health of the Country by Conevery Bolton Valencius
  • Wilderness and the American Mind by Roderick Frazier Nash
  • Changes in the Land by William Cronon
  • Locust by Jeffery A. Lockwood
  • An Unnatural Metropolis by Craig E. Colten
  • Plan B 2.0, by Lester Brown
I will be adding to this list periodically as I finish more books that fit into this category. I have started a column about what I have been currently reading to keep my blog a little more current with what I am doing in my life. As I finish more books that fit into the Environmental Literature category, I will be updating them here. Have you read any of these books before? What are your thoughts about them? Do you have any recommendations for other pieces I might explore?

2 comments:

Allan Stellar said...

I like your list. A few I haven't read--and I'll put them on my reading list. I would add a wonderful little book from the 1970's written by a Park Ranger: "Men for the Mountains" by Sid Marty. It's an enjoyable read despite it's testosterone charged title.

I'm also wondering why Bill Mckibben didn't make the list? Or Doug Peacock?

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Nice list Nicole!

I only managed to get my hands on Blessed Unrest which miraculously Paul sent directly to me here in Jakarta, Indonesia after I participated in WiserEarth.org, a community directory and networking site born out of the book.

Wish I can have easy access to all the other books! Soon hopefully.

Oh, I would add one that should be on the reading list of everyone anywhere: The Earth Charter (www.earthcharterinaction.org/2000/10/the_earth_charter.html)